In a quest to enhance the ability to report power outages, Mohave Electric Cooperative members can now text a notification.
No changes to other reporting methods were made. Members can still call the (844) 632-2667 Outage Reporting Hotline or sign into their SmartHub account.
It is important to remember the MEC Facebook page is not monitored 24/7 and is not a reliable reporting tool.
“We wanted to remain current with the times and offer another, simple method for members to report an outage,” said Rick Campos, chief operating officer at MEC. “Reporting outages remains an important tool for MEC crews in the field to help identify the location causing the problem.
“This can help improve response time and shorten the duration of an outage.”
The first step for members to adopt this option is to have a cell phone linked to their account. This can be done by calling the Member Services Office at (928) 763-1100, stopping by the office at 928 Hancock Rd. in Bullhead City, or through SmartHub.
Those who choose to enter cell numbers through the SmartHub website www.mohaveelectric.smarthub.coop should select “Notifications,” “Manage Contacts,” and “Add Phone Contact.”
SmartHub users will receive a verification code that must be entered before the number is activated.
Once a cell number is on the account, members are ready to text “Outage” to 55050, although it could take 24-48 hours before a newly entered cell number is activated.
Members with a cell already linked to their account do not need to complete this process.
Additional cell numbers may be added to an account by repeating the above process.
“We hope this will become a popular reporting method,” Campos said. “It’s easy to sign up and reporting an outage will be simple.”
How to get signed up for texting outages
For members who have a cell phone listed on account:
- If you already have a cell phone listed to your account, text “Outage” to 55050 from the cell phone listed to the account.
Members who want to text, but do not have a cell phone listed on an account
- Three ways to get a cell phone listed on an account:
- Call the MEC Member Services Office at (928) 763-1100;
- Stop by the Member Services Office at 928 Hancock Rd. in Bullhead City, and;
- Log into, or create, a SmartHub website account.
- Those adding cell phones by calling or stopping by
- Once Member Services has added a cell phone, a member’s number will be active in 24-48 hours. Once a cell number is active, a member can text “Outage” to 55050 to report their outage.
- Those using SmartHub
- Sign in/Create account www.mohaveelectric.smarthub.coop or select the link on the front page of the MEC website;
- Once logged in, select Notifications;
- Select Manage Contacts;
- Select Add Phone Contact;
- Users will receive a verification code that must be entered before the number is activated, and;
- Following activation, it may take 24-48 hours before a member can text “Outage” to 55050 to report their outage.